March 4, 2010

Weekly Post

Last weeks discussion was quite interesting though I felt that there were certain aspects of discussion that I did not quite understand. There is a lot about the politics of health care that I will admit I do not know much about. And as the floor was opened up for a larger dicussion, it seemed as if the policts of health care was the main issue at hand. So that was a little bit disengaging for me. What did strike interest in me was our discussion of health care and insurance. We are fully aware of the issues of the health care system in the U.S., and it was intersting to hear about some of the facts, specifically about colon cancer. What was surprising to hear is that, I may be wrong in how I've interepreted this, but what I think the speaker was talking about in this regard was individuals diagnosed with colon caner with insurance who are able to pay for the additional testing do more harm in increasing the risk for futher complication than patients without this insurance. I'm not sure if this was the exact point that was made, but I do our speaker mentioning something about how unnecessary the additional treatment was for colon cancer, and how it possible has more adverse outcomes. Regardless, this was a pretty interesting talk and I'm glad we had the opportunity to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment