January 13, 2010

It was hard to stomach the article "Underlying Conditions Affecting Farmworkers' Access to Health Care". I don't understand how there can be articles like this, and other information that clearly shows the disadvantages and disparities faced by agricultural workers in California, and yet their situations haven't improved in decades! It's a really disheartening reality, and it made me realize how emotionally taxing it's going to be to witness this reality and interact with these poor families firsthand over spring break. While reading "Who are the Underserved" I felt like I had heard most of the statistics before about the number of uninsured, and other issues of social class, race, ethnicity and health through the Human Biology core. What I didn't know about was the existence of the "safety net". Reading about this system gave me hope in what seems to be a sea of impossible problems. I also really enjoyed reading the section on The Art and Science of Community-Based Medicine because it highlighted how health care is so much more than just medicine. I admire the physicians and other health care professionals who work in the community clinics on a day to day basis, performing their job but also giving so much of themselves personally as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment