February 21, 2010

Like Sharada, I enjoyed Rob Reich's presentation because I constantly question my own motivations for involving myself in public service. Each time I sign up for a new service-related activity, I challenge myself to come up with a solid reason for signing up. Am I genuinely passionate about and/or moved by the activity's purpose? Am I simply intrigued? Or are my intentions narcissistic -- am I motivated to partake in the activity because it would look great on my resume? Have I convinced myself on false pretenses that the activity would be a 'good thing for me to do?' I find myself in semi-agreement with Sharada's (broadly-held) statement that we cannot neglect the great impact that short-term investments in public service have allowed for. Perhaps Reich's talk has caused me to be unreasonably cynical, but I cannot help but question whether the statement stems from a volunteer's vain discomfort with the idea that his/her temporary investment in service wasn't worthwhile. Afterall, it is incredibly disheartening to consider that hundred of thousands of well-meaning volunteers have spent time doing totally non-impactful service.

No comments:

Post a Comment