February 5, 2010

Week 5 Response- Elena

This week's reading was really hard for me because it forced me to take a deeper look into myself. Like Abraham, I am also from the Central Valley, so I can relate first hand to the awful heat conditions there. While reading it really hit home that everything that was being described, all the disparity, suffering, and inequality, takes place right where I grew up! And then I began to ask myself how many times I had driven by a farm, seen the migrant workers laboring under terrible conditions, and turned my head the other way without thinking twice about it. I didn't give any thought to who exactly were these migrant workers. I didn't think about whether or not they earned a fair wage and were given medical benefits. I just accepted that it was a reality that farms needed workers, and that there were certain people who were needy enough to take those jobs. I'm ashamed of myself for having this attitude, but I think it's an attitude that many Americans have today. I'm reminded about what Rachel said in class last week, that what we really need is a cultural shift in mindset--not new laws, not more money into healthcare, but rather a new outlook that isn't so self-centered. If we all cared about our fellow human beings and wanted what was in everybody's best interest (I know this is terribly idealistic of me), if we weren't so concerned with time and convenience, I think a lot of problems would solve themselves. I don't know how to do this. I think one method is to increase awareness about what's going on, much like this article did for me. Because I think most people are compassionate enough to care when they read some of the harsh realities like those presented in the article.

1 comment:

  1. Elena, I definitely agree with what you've said. I think its easy to fall into the mindset that just because there are certain people who are "needy enough" to take jobs these like farm work, there doesn't need to be as much regulation of these types of labor. The sad truth is that some believe do actually believe this, and what's even worse is when other people (consumers of these goods and people in the community) don't realize the injustice and disparity that these workers face. But what I think, is that change starts with this realization. I know this is cliche, but the truth hurts. And I think its that initial pain and discomfort about the realities that people face around us that is critical to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete