February 19, 2010

Week 7

Rob Reich's presentation was an interesting perspective on public service. Ideally, public service programs would create these large scale changes in as short a period of time and as smoothly as possible. To me, it seemed as if Reich was basing his opinion on public service on this ideal. In reality, though, this rarely, if ever, happens. Creating any measurable amount of change in society has always been seen to take years to occur to overcome the many obstacles that stand in the way. I feel that what should be appreciated about public services programs is there success in attempting to bring about change through peaceful and respectable means. If I were to run a public service program, I would feel success if I knew that I was able to feed even one person, or tutor just one student, because I would know that I am one step closer to reaching my goal. I also feel that creating such change, though, is a two step process that needs to occur simultaneously. For example, with the farm workers, I feel that change has to occur with both the governmental and international level as well as with the individual level. There needs to be aid provided to the current undocumented workers in providing them with necessities of water and shelter while at the same time governmental changes are being made, and I feel this is what makes it so challenging.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. Though governmental change is essential to solving the issues, the people need help now. The only way to address their needs now is through NGOs. They can address the many needs of the people, from hunger, to homelessness to lack of healthcare. By doing so, we can help the people now while waiting for the government to change policy for the future.

    ReplyDelete