February 17, 2010

Week 5 Response

Within the past two weeks we have been exposed to some pretty harsh realities of the migrant communities in the Central Valley area and also service efforts in general. In the movie we watched two weeks ago, Harvest of Shame, we were shown the reality of the many inequalities that migrant workers face, and some of the tragic circumstances that are a part of these inequalities. For me, this was pretty hard to see. I feel that we have benefited in one way or another from the work of these migrant workers, but up until now, I have never stopped to think about the disparities that these workers face and what can be done to alleviate them. Well what can be done? For the first part, I think that is not okay for there to be not strict regulation of farm owners. Mandates for farm workers to have adequate shade and water have been made, but if there is no strict regulation of farm owners, tragedies like Marie's will continue to happen. Also, I dont think this is a crazy idea, but farm workers need to have basic benefits as well like health and dental care. I know many may not be legal U.S. citizen, but if they are doing the work that U.S. aren't doing, I believe that's enough qualification for basic health benefits. There are many other changes that can be made, I'm sure. But I agree very strongly with Rachel, in that the very first change that needs to be made is a change of our own mindsets. We need less of a focus on ourselve so that we can see the needs of those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment